The Impact of Social Media on Product Management and Product Marketing
Abstract, downloadable presentation PDF, session discussion notes, and many additional resources.
As a follow-up to the presentation at ProductCamp, following are a session abstract, presentation slides, and numerous additional resources. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I’ll be sure to respond. Even if you were unable to attend the event, this session should be of interest whether you’re in product management, product marketing or of course, solution marketing.
By the way… If you’re wondering where to start, start by getting (and using!) a Twitter handle. Heck you might even use it at the next ProductCamp – to connect to other attendees during the day. Also, try out blogging or commenting on other folks’ blogs. If you’re concerned about corporate issues, just start by writing on a topic of personal interest. Either way, you’ll learn a lot. My lesson: next time, I’ll definitely post a session hashtag! Thanks again for participating in the session.
How is social media affecting your organization? Share your experience and best practices in the use of customer/market-facing social media in your product management/product marketing organization.
- The Impact of Social Media on Product Management & Product Marketing – Full presentation-PDF
- The Impact of Social Media on Product Management & Product Marketing – Full presentation-Brainshark
- The Impact of Social Media on Product Management & Product Marketing – Session Discussion Notes – MS Word
(thank you Carole Gunst for being a great scribe!)
- Preview presentation on Brainshark
Check out Carole Gunst’s blog post on the session:
Who’s Doing Social Media in the ProductCamp Crowd?
SOCIAL MEDIA EXAMPLES & TOOLS MENTIONED DURING DISCUSSION
- Case Studies
- More on Frank, Comcast Cares/Frank – www.twitter.com/comcastcares. Also see my post on Comcast/Salesforce.com Twitter customer service (includes several good links).
- Sprint CEO’s email address – Check out this blog post.
- IBM social computing guidelines (thanks Joselin).
- Social Media Monitoring
- SocialMention – Free tools that will monitor what people are saying about your company.
- Radian6 – Popular, costs $.
- Additional social media monitoring tools – Check out Murray Newlands blog post on the top 10 tools, or see Marketing Pilgrim’s 8 Essential Free Social Media Monitoring Tools.
- Users vote on product features
- User Voice – Product that allows you to get people using your product to vote on features.
- Social Media Monitoring
- Helpful sites mentioned
MORE ON THE SOLUTION MARKETING BLOG
- Getting started with social media
- Social Media strategy
- Content creation
- All social media posts on the Solution Marketing Blog
SOCIAL MEDIA BLOGS
- HubSpot’s Inbound Marketing Blog
- Mashable – The top social media blog
- Chris Brogan – One of the top social media gurus
- Groundswell Blog – The popular book
- Altimeter Group Blog – From the writers of Groundswell
- Social Media Marketing Blog – Scott Monty
- Converstations – Conversational writing
- The Top 50 Blogs
Socialnomics: Understand the impact of social media.
During the session, you may have noticed that we had several other folks in the room with great social media experience. Here are just a few (to add your name to the list, please add a comment below).
- Carole Gunst Twitter Company: Gunst & Associates Blog: Marketing Today
- Jennifer Doctor Twitter Blog: Outside In View
- Joselin Mane Twitter Company: LITBeL